DIRECT LINE: (905) 565-5770 ext. 22
LINKEDIN: Harry Mann
Harry Mann has been practicing law for more than 30 years. He is also an Inquiry Officer under the Expropriations Act, RSO , 1990 in the Province of Ontario. Prior to commencing his own practice, Harry practiced with the Law Firm of Green and Spiegel in Toronto. From 1983 to 1988, Harry practiced law in India, specializing in criminal litigation and was counsel to many large Crown Corporations and Chartered Banks.
Harry grew up in the City of Patiala, Punjab in India. He graduated from Punjabi University with a Bachelor of Arts, before earning a Bachelor of Laws also from Punjabi University in 1982. After immigrating to Canada in 1988, he enrolled at the University of Western Ontario where he graduated with a Bachelor of Laws in 1991. He was called to the Bar in Ontario in April 1992.
Harry has contributed to a number of community and professional organizations throughout his career. Harry was presented the Golden Jubilee Medal of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by the Governor General of Canada in 2002 for making a significant contribution to fellow citizens, the community and to Canada. He was nominated by the Prime Minister of Canada and was presented with the Diamond Jubilee medal of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in 2013.
Among his many community and professional activities, Harry was the Director and President of the Board of Directors of Peel Children’s Aid Society until 2015. He was a Director of the United Way of Peel Region from 2000 and was Chairman of the Board of Directors in 2006-2007. He was a Director of the Peel Law Association from 2002 to 2005. He has also served as the President of the Lions Club of Erin Mills in Mississauga from 1998 to 2000, and is a charter member of this club. He was on the Capital Campaign Cabinet of The Credit Valley Hospital Foundation. He was the President of the South Asian Lawyer’s Association. He is also a Director of the Sikh Foundation of Canada, which was responsible for bringing the very successful Arts of the Sikh Kingdoms Exhibition to the Royal Ontario Museum. Harry has also been involved with the South Asian Heritage Foundation as its Chairperson; the Foundation celebrates the month of May as South Asian Heritage Month pursuant to the South Asian Heritage Act, 2001. Harry has been profiled in news print media, and is frequently requested to comment on issues on radio and television as a subject matter expert on a number of issues. He has also been a guest speaker at educational and social forums.
Professional Experience and Accomplishments
- A legal career spanning over 35 years.
- Appointed as an Inquiry Officer, by the Attorney General of Ontario to hear and determine matters under the Expropriations Act, R.S.O 1990.
- Practiced as a lawyer in India from 1983 to 1988 specializing in criminal and family litigation, as well as acting Counsel for Crown Corporations and Chartered Banks. Conducted prosecution and defence in court martial proceedings of army officers.
Other Experience and Accomplishments
- Member of Council of Champions of “Success by 6”, a coalition of community partners with a mission to ensure that all children have the opportunity to fulfill their potential from birth to age six.
- Executive Member of Committee that raised $1.7million in donations from the Punjabi Community for the Credit Valley Hospital.
- Involved in successful $1.2 million fundraising campaign for the Royal Ontario Museum’s “Arts of the Sikh Kingdoms” Exhibition. The campaign involved an apolitical, secular and cross sectional fund raising strategy (including funds from the Provincial and Federal Governments, corporate Canada and individual donors).
- Played a significant role as a member of the Campaign Cabinet of the Credit Valley Hospital Foundation, for the $50 million Capital Campaign towards their $300 million expansion project
- Facilitated the funding of Sikh Studies Program at the University of Toronto for four years.
- Profiled in news print media and requested to comment on relevant issues on radio and television by the media, including CBC and CFRB
- Invited by the editorial board of CTV and CFTO to advise them on South Asian issues and programming.
- Guest speaker and Master of Ceremonies at several educational, social and political forums.
- Made written and oral submissions to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Bill C-11, Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
- Reviewed report and provided comments on Court House security upgrades in Toronto.